My in-laws were here a few days ago. Like every Italian mother-in-law, my mother-in-law cooks. And YES, she cooks delicious Italian meals. But NO, she doesn't cook the typical ones requiring hours of preparation. She likes easy and fast recipes. So my mother-in-law is not a typical Italian mother-in-law. Her single portions of melanzane are simply delicious. They also freeze very well.
le melanzane di luciana
1 mozzarella ball
parmesan cheese, grated
olive oil (for frying)
0. Preheat the oven to 375F.
1. Cut the eggplants in 1/4 inch slices
2. Coat them slightly with flour
3. Fry them in olive oil, then place them on paper towels (to absorb the excess oil) and let them cool
4. Put the mozzarella together with a few slices of fried eggplants, both cut in pieces, in a food processor and add some grated Parmesan cheese. Mix very quickly until you obtain a paste.
5. Once the eggplants slices are ready, put them in muffin tins so that they take the form of the tan (with my 2 eggplants I filled 12 of them)
6. Fill the tans with the mozzarella/eggplants mixture
7. Cover with another slice of fried eggplant pushing delicately on the side to "close" it
8. Bake (using the bain-marie method) in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the eggplants become golden brown
9. Flip them over to serve. You can also add mozzarella and broil it a little bit
10. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce.