The last time I talked about Beatrice Peltre (author of the bog La Tartine Gourmande), it was on January 23th. Back then, I mentioned the fact that it was almost my birthday, hoping somebody would understand and offer me her new cookbook. Obviously my hint was not clear enough, because I did not receive it! So I'm giving it another try. After all, today it's Valentine's day, isn't it?
hazelnut + carrot cupcakes
by beatrice peltre (la tartine gourmande*)
* also in french
for the cupcakes:
3 carrots, peeled and grated finely (table.etc: +/- 2 cups)
1 cup quinoa flour
3/4 cup hazelnut flour
3/4 cup amaranth flour (table.etc: i used millet flour because didn't have any amaranth flour)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup plain cream-like whole milk yogurt
3/4 cup packed brown Muscovado sugar
for the clementine icing (optional):
3.5 oz confectioner’s sugar
a few drop of lemon juice
3 tablespoons heavy cream
juice of a clementine
table.etc: i used my usual recipe: 3.5 oz confectioner's sugar + juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven at 350 F.
2. Prepare a muffin pan filled with paper cases; set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda; set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the yogurt and oil and mix well.
5. Combine in the dry ingredients, the carrots and spices. Add the chopped nuts.
6. Divide the batter among the molds and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
7. Prepare the icing by combining all ingredients. Spread a small amount on top of each cupcake. Let cool completely.