11.12.2012

homemade fromage blanc


The other day, I had a craving for a kind of cheese i used to eat in Belgium, called "fromage blanc", "maquee", or "platte kass". I couldn't find the equivalent here in California, so I decided to make it, especially when I discovered how easy it was. After, I found out that the name in English is fresh cheese or farmer cheese and that some specialty stores carry it. But knowing how easy it is to make, I don't think I will ever feel the need to buy it. Jugez plutot!



homemade farmer cheese/fromage blanc/platte kaas

4 cups milk
1 cup buttermilk

1. In a glass or earthenware bowl, mix together the milk and the buttermilk. Cover with plastic wrap and leave leave at room temperature (preferably 70 to 80F) until the mixture thickens. This will take 24 to 48 hours. table etc.: 32 hours in my oven with the light on

2. Line a sieve or colander with a double layer of cheesecloth. Pour the thickened milk mixture into this and let drain over a bowl for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator. The longer the cheese drips, the thicker it will be.  table etc.: 12 hours

3. Discard the watery liquid (whey). 

4. Remove the cheese to a small bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate until ready to use. The fresh cheese will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.

Makes 3 to 3 1/2 cups according to the book and  2 1/2 cups to 3 cups for table etc.

No comments: