11.09.2010

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


I received the book "Good to the Grain" by Kim Boyce in June. I really wanted that book. However I've never tried any of its recipes yet. I think I was intimidated. I wanted to pick the perfect recipe right away. Then the other day I've read a blog article about the whole wheat chocolate chip cookies from that book. I felt like I had to bake these cookies. So I did!


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Kim Boyce, Good to the Grain, p.40)

Dry mix:
3 cups whole wheat flour 
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
Wet mix:
2 sticks (8 oz.) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped into ¼- and ½-inch pieces

1. Place 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350°F. 
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment. 
3. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back into the bowl any bites of grain or other ingredients that may remain in the sifter.
4. Put the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, mix just until the butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. 
6. Mix in the vanilla. 
7. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and blend on low speed until the flour is barely combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. 
8. Add the chocolate all at once to the batter. Mix on low speed until evenly combined. 
9. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then scrape the batter out onto a work surface, and use your hands to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
10. Scoop mounds of dough about 3 tablespoons in size onto the baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. 
11. Bake the cookies for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are evenly dark brown.
12. Transfer the cookies, still on parchment, to the counter to cool, and repeat with the remaining dough.

NB: 
- I don't have a stand mixer. So I used my food processor to "cut" the butter and the sugar. Then for the rest of the recipe, I used a regular mixer.
- I've baked only 8 cookies and frozen the rest of the dough - already shaped in balls (I'll tell you if it works when I will bake them)

No comments: