The "Zuppa Inglese" is my husband's favorite dessert and is becoming my older daughter's too. I've found a way to speed up the recipe. Still delicious. That's a zuppa inglese "veloce, veloce" (very quick).
Zuppa Inglese Veloce Veloce (4 servings)
The Bottom Part: soft Ladyfingers
(for the "U.S." people: the Trader's Joe's Ladyfingers are perfect; hurry up: it's a seasonal item)
The Middle Part: your favorite pastry cream
4 egg yolks - 500ml milk - 100gr sugar - 20gr corn starch - 75 gr bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
1. Bring the milk to a boil
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar. Then add the cornstarch.
3. Pour half the hot milk into the yolks, stirring continuously.
4. Put this mixture into the pan with the remaining milk. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring continuoulsy: the cream should thicken.
5. Remove from heat. Divide the mixture into 2 differents bowls. Add the chopped chocolate in one of them. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
6. Let cool, then cover with a plastic wrap (directly over the cream) before storing in the refrigerator or use immediately.
The Top Part: eggs whites, beaten & microwaved
4 egg whites - 30gr sugar
1. Beat the egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer until foamy
2. Put in the micro wave just a few seconds (I usually check the firmness every 20 seconds)
The Final Touch (optional): unsweetened cocoa powder
Done! Serve at room temperature or refrigerated.