It's here in California that I discovered the combination of lemon + poppy seeds in baked goods. And I loved it. Right away. And still do. A lot. Hmmmmm. So good. Yummy. Irresistible. Heaven.
(adapted from Cakes in the city - in French)
300 g flour (2 1/2 cup)
12 gr baking powder (2 tsp )
100 g sugar (1/2 cup)
250 ml buttermilk (1 cup)
60 gr butter (melted) (1/4 cup)
3 tsp poppy seed
For the glaze
100 gr powdered sugar (in my case:3/4 cup)
3 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk slightly the eggs, then add the buttermilk and the melted butter.
4. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together with as few strokes as possible, just until the flour is moistened, leaving a few lumps.
5. Add the poppy seeds and the lemon zest.
6. Spoon into greased muffin tins (or paper cups) and bake for about 15 minutes (a little more in my case)
7. Prepare the glaze mixing the lemon juice and the powdered sugar.
8. Pour the glaze over the warm muffins.