A cake. The cake. The one that my daughters regularly ask me to bake for their birthday parties: plain, soft, moist, sweet, very sweet. A sparkling cake, as they like to call it. The sparkling cake.
the sparkling cake
(from cakes in the city, in French)
350 g caster sugar
125 g softened butter
4 egg whites
450 g unbleached all-purpose flour
2 ts baking powder
1 pinch salt
250 ml buttermilk
zest of one orange
For the frosting
150 g powdered sugar
2 or 3 tbsp orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 325F
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until frothy.
3. Add egg whites one at a time while continuing to whisk.
4. In a second bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add to the mixture + gradually add the buttermilk.
6. Sprinkle with orange zest.
7. Pour the batter into a greased and floured baking dish (9x13 inch) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not overbake.
8. Prepare the icing by gradually adding orange juice to the sugar. Icing should not be too runny. Pour over cake and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle your sprinkles!