Forget everything you've heard or read about homemade flour tortillas and give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.
homemade flour tortillas
copied and pasted from this blog)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1. In a large bowl bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and baking powder.
2. Add the oil and butter and mix with your hands, rubbing the fat into the flour, until it has the texture of cornmeal.
3. Add 1 1/4 cup warm water. Mix well
4. Knead for 2 minutes. The dough should be soft and pliable. It should not be sticky.
5. Cover the dough with saran wrap or a wet towel (you don't want it to dry out) and let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
6. Form dough into 12 balls.
7. Heat a dry (don't grease it) cast iron skillet over medium heat.
8. On a lightly floured surface flatten one dough ball and using a rolling pin roll into a think 8 inch circle.
9. Place tortilla in the hot pan. Cook for 1 minute and flip over. It should have brown spots. Cook for 1 minute on the other side. Remove from pan and cover with a clean towel.
10. Repeat for remainder of the dough balls.