I've made a chai latte. I never thought you could make your own before! But when I discovered it, I did not hesitate one second. It is so easy (especially if you have - like me - all the spices you need in your pantry), so good, and so inexpensive that you should not hesitate one second either! Another advantage is that you can customize it according to your taste. The recipe that suits mine best is this one (published only a few days ago by Christelle is flabbergasting).
homemade chai latte2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 tbs black tea
1 ts ground cardamom
3 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 pinch of grated nutmeg
vanilla bean split in two (vanilla powder works very well too)
5 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
fresh ginger cut into thin strips (the equivalent of 1 ts)
2 ts honey
1. In a pan, roast, on low heat, ground cardamom, crushed peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg for 1 minute. Using a wooden spoon, mix and press the spices lightly so that they develop their flavors.
2. Pour the water, milk, tea, vanilla (seeds and pod), and fresh ginger to the pan.
3. Mix everything together.
4. Cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and let steep 5 minutes. Add honey and stir.
6. Remove the vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks. Then strain the mixture and serve hot.