9.11.2010

Heirloom Tomato Pizza


This summer in Italy I have eaten so many (too many?) pizza with fresh tomatoes that I've become addicted. So I decided to try to bake one in my own kitchen. The result was quite satisfying, even though not comparable to the Italian pizzerias'.


Heirloom Tomato Pizza (makes 2 pizzas)
Freely inspired by the Big Sur Bakery Cookbook, p.112

The pizza dough: I've made the dough that I use to do for my pizza-foccacia (here) instead of the one of the Big Sur Bakery Cookbook, longer and more complicated than mine. And since I was so eager to eat my pizza, I've chosen the easiest and quickest recipe.

The pizza topping:
6 tbs of my basic tomato sauce (here). For these pizzas, I need 5 to 6 tbs.
+ 4 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
2 heirloom tomatoes sliced thinly
+ 1 mozzarella sliced (I love the one from Costco)
+  fresh basil leaves, julienned
+ salt and pepper


1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
2. Divide the dough in 2 balls. 
3. Working with one ball of pizza dough, dip your hands and the dough in the flour to make them less sticky, and pat the dough down into a disk shape with the palm of your hand. Once the disk is large enough, drape the dough over your fists and carefully start stretching and expanding  the dough form underneath to form a round that is 10 to 12 inches in diameter.
4. Place the dough on a oiled baking dish (I've used the one from Ikea - 12 inches)
5. Spread 3 tbs of the tomato sauce evenly over the surface, leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered.
6. Sprinkle 2 tbs of the Parmesan over the tomato sauce.
7. Bake it for 4 to 6 minutes, until the pizza is slightly browned.
8. Remove the pizza from the oven + arrange half of the sliced tomatoes on top of the pizza + half of the sliced mozzarella on top of the tomatoes + season with salt and pepper.
9. Put it back in the oven and bake it for another 4 to 6 minutes. 
NB: The mozzarella should melt but still maintain its shape and the tomatoes should be just warmed through. Do not overbake - the tomatoes will start to release too much juice and the pizza will be soggy.
10. Remove the pizza from the oven and place it on a cutting board. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
11. Top with it with half of the basil, slice, and serve immediately.
12. Prepare the second pizza the same way.

No comments: