My CSA box was great last week: lots of wonderful green beans, chards, and kale, tiny fingerling potatoes, juicy pears..... To enjoy their freshness right away, I went for a large casserole recipe (this one adapted from Giada Laurentiis is pretty good). I also added some roasted fingerling potatoes.
Spicy Parmesan Green Beans and Kale
(Giada de Laurentiis - Food Network)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered (about 14 mushrooms)
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and slice into 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bunch kale (1/2 pound), rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1. Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, green beans, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the wine and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the red pepper flakes and the kale and continue cooking until the kale has wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the lemon juice and the Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and serve immediately.