12.06.2010

Arugula Pesto


I received a full bunch of Arugula in my CSA box this week. Since it's almost winter time, I'm more in the mood for pasta than for salad. This arugula pesto recipe with a hint of lemon inspired me. I like pesto over pasta but also over pizzas, crackers, soups, sandwiches or quiches... The uses are endless. 
Tip for kids: To reduce the bitterness of the arugula, mix the pesto with some roasted tomatoes (or basic tomato sauce) and a bit of cream. My daughters loved it this way.

Arugula Pesto (serves about 1 cup)

4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups packed arugula (about 4 ounces)
2-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup grated parmesan, Asiago, or Pecorino Romano cheese
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1. Place the garlic, pine nuts, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to chop roughly. 
2. Add the arugula, lemon juice, and cheese, and purée until smooth. 
3. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. 
4. Taste and add more salt if desired.
5. Transfer the pesto to a clean container, cover, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

NB: If you plan to use the pesto in small amounts, freeze the sauce in ice cube trays and then store the frozen cubes in a zipper bag. It will last up to 3 months. (+ My NB: I've always heard that it's better to freeze the pesto without the Parmesan and add it afterward).


No comments: