4.21.2010

Cinnamon Rolls

When I arrived in the US, I could smell cinnamon everywhere. Back then, I was not particularly a big fan... Same thing - even worse - for Alberto and the girls. Four years later, I've found myself baking cinnamon rolls! For me, cinnamon rolls are often too greasy and sweet. So I've reduced the quantities of butter and sugar.  Eighteen cinnamon rolls disappeared in less than 24 hours: apparently I am not the only one in the family who has changed opinion about cinnamon....

Cinnamon Rolls, adapted from The Tassajara Bread Book (p.56)

The dough
I. 1 cup lukewarm water
3 1/2 ts dry yeast (about 1 1/2 packet)
3 tbs honey or sugar
1/3 cup dry milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cups unbleached white or whole wheat flour (I've used white)
II. 3 tbs butter or oil
1 1/4 ts salt
1 cup sifted flour: unbleached white or whole wheat flour or your choice  (I've used white)
1/2 to 3/4 cup wheat flour for kneading






The procedure is the same as for the Tassajara Yeasted Bread, except for some different rising times.
1. Dissolve yeast in water.
2. Stir in sweetening and dry milk. Stir in egg. (Thorough mixing at this point is not essential)
3. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour until a thick batter forms, and then beat well with a spoon (about 100 strokes)
4. Let rise 30 minutes.
5. Fold in butter (or oil) and salt.
6. Fold in the one cup flour until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
7. Knead on a floured board, using more flour (approximatley 1/2 to 3/4 cup, depending on what other flours you used) as needed to keep the dough from sticking to th eboard and your hands. Knead 5 to 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and does not readily tear.
8. Let rise 40 minutes


The filling
1/4 cup softened or melted butter (I've put 1/8 cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I've put 1/4 cup)
1 tbs or more cinnamon (I've put 1/2 tbs)
1/2 cup raisins (I've put 1/4 cup)

The powdered sugar glaze
1 cup sifted powdered sugar 4 to 6 tbs milk or cream or lemon juice
NB: I've used 1/4 of the quantities because I ran out off powdered sugar. 

1. Prepare the dough. After the dough has risen, roll it out on a floured board in a rectangle 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Spred on the softened butter or brush the melted butter.
2. Sprinkle on the brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.
3. Starting at one edge, roll up the dough fairly tight as you would a carpet. Cut the roll in sections about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, and place the sections flat on a greased baking sheet, leaving space around them to rise and spread out. Let them rise for 20 minutes.
4. Brush with egg wash and bake at 375F for about 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Frost with powdered sugar glaze

No comments: