As delicious and fluffy as the "regular" ones... (really!). Also healthier. And easier to make for those of you who live in Europe (no need for buttermilk).Whole Wheat Pancakes, adapted from the Tassajara Bread Book, by Edward Espe Brown (p.88)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
1 tbs brown sugar or honey
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil or melted butter (I've used only 1/4 cup canola oil)
3 egg yolks, beaten
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2. If using honey, add it to the milk and oil.
3. Beat the milk and oil into the beaten yolks.
4. Combine the milk mixture with the dry ingredients until just blended, and then fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
5. Cook on a greased griddle or frying pan
NB: May be made any size - the larger ones will take longer to cook through.