A nice after school snack. Perfect paired with a fresh green C monster juice or whathever fresh juice you like. Other kids friendly spreads here or here or here.
white bean spread
by heidi swanson, super natural everyday, p.110
¼ cup/60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cups/12oz/340g cooked white beans, or 1 can/15 oz/425g, rinsed and drained
¾ cup/2.5oz/70g sliced almonds, toasted (table etc.: i used whole toasted almonds)
fine-grain sea salt
1 tbs fresh lemon juice, + more if needed
¼ to ¾ cup/60 to 180 ml hot water
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1. In a small saucepan, combine the olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Over medium-low heat, slowly warm the mixture until the oil just barely starts to sizzle, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the oil through a strainer and discard the garlic and rosemary bits.
3. In a food processor, combine the beans, two-thirds of the almonds, a scant 1/2 ts salt, the lemon juice, and two-thirds of the rosemary oil. Pulse a couple of times to bring the ingredients together.
4. Add the water ¼ cup at a time, pulsing all the while, until the mixture is the consistency of thick frosting. You might not need all the water; it really depends on how starchy your beans are and how thick you’d like the spread to be. Taste and adjust with more lemon juice or salt, if needed.
5. Scoop the spread into a serving dish and make a few indentations in the top.
6. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and the remaining almonds and drizzle with the remaining rosemary oil. Serve with pita chips (table etc. : or some good sourdough bread)
7. (makes about 2 cups)