2.20.2011

kale almond pesto


Obviously, it's kale season! I do not know how to cook it anymore*. In such cases, making pesto is always a good solution. See the recipe of the arugula pesto that I mentioned a few months ago. Today pesto has helped me to get rid of my "extra" greens. This pesto version is less oily. First of all, I wanted my pesto to really taste kale. Second of all, because I found out that since you add oil on top of the jar for preserving the pesto, adding too much oil in the pesto itself is not necessary. You can still add it later (or simply add pasta water to liquefy it when used with pasta). Finally, used in some recipes, it's better to have a denser pesto. You'll see what I mean in the next post...

Kale Almond Pesto (serves about 1 cup)


1 bunch kale
⅓ cup toasted almonds
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil 2
½ tsp salt


1. Preboil kale (just a couple of minutes)
2. Place kale in food processor and pulse until chopped
3. Add almonds and garlic and pulse again
4. Add salt, lemon juice, and olive oil





* other recipes with kale in this blog:

white beans + kale crostini



2 comments:

Spiders around the World said...

Very good Basil Pesto replacement. Did it Sunday and kids loved it. Also added some pine nuts

anne said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the comment.