5.19.2010

Whole Wheat Muffins

While I was preparing these muffins, I was doubtful. The batter was so dark (whole wheat flour+molasses) that I was wondering if they would turn out good ...The answer to my anguish came from my daughter Adele: she ate 2 muffins right from the oven and asked for a 3rd. 

Whole Wheat Muffins, from the Tassajara Bread Book, p.105 
- makes 12 large muffins -

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey or molasses (I've used 1/4 cup molasses + 2 tbs honey)
1 1/2 cups milk

1. Preheat the oven to 400F
2. Combine the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients.
4. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together with as few strokes as possible, just until the flour is moistened, leaving a few lumps.
5. Spoon into greased muffins tins (or paper cups) and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes.

NB: I've sprinkled some turbinado sugar on top of the muffins' batter before putting them in the oven for more crunchiness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely delicious! I opted for 1/2 C of honey and added 1 tsp of vanilla, and I used that as a base for three types of muffins. One was chocolate chip, another was coconut, and my favorite used 1 C of the Ancient Grains cereal by Cascadian Farm. (I let the cereal soak in the liquid mixture for a minute or two so it wasn't quite as crunchy.) I added a bit more milk with the coconut mixture and 1/2 C extra milk to the cereal one. This recipe made 12 medium-sized muffins (by my eye) or 6 giant muffins. Both are amazing! These are moist and delicious, and I had no trouble getting them out of a buttered pan like I sometimes have trouble doing. 10 out of 5 stars!

Karen said...

Can I make this as a bread instead of muffins? Do I alter the ingredients? How much baking time?

Karen said...

Can I make this as a bread instead of muffins? Do I alter the ingredients? How much baking time?